Sunday, September 19, 2010

Best of Week: Emotion

At the end of the week this week, our class talked more about creativity and what guide lines help in creating the best thing we can. One of the biggest things that struck me was something I had already known but needed to be told. I always knew in the back of my head that Emotion was a very big factor in making people interested in your work, but being told this made things a lot clearer.

Emotion appeals to everyone. Creating something with feeling makes people look at your work closer and actually relate to it. Playing with people's emotions makes them think about your work even after they are done looking at it. When art of any kind is made just because then people don't stop and think. They pass it by just like any other thing.

In the article "The Sea of information" the author talked about  research not being enough to catch peoples attention. I always think of art as painting or drawing but in this situation, the art of writing is the best thing to compare to. We learned this week about college essays and how to write them. Research about yourself is not enough for the college admins to look at your essay and remember it. That is why we need to involve emotion in our writing. Make it memorable to only us because no one sees or feels a certain situation just like you.

Everyone is different yet everyone has emotions, no matter which emotion a person triggers with their art, it will be a lot more memorable than just a long line of information.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Emotions can contribute into a lot of people's decisions and their interest. The part where the work plays with someone's emotion, I guess that's actually where the 'talent' comes in? In some way, at least. A person can look into someone's creative work and say, "Oh that's nice" but to draw in their attention and their interest, and ability to make them THINK much more deeper into the work is definitely something much greater. (And I guess this is what we have to do for our college essays. To draw them in, to show ourselves as something more, and just be like, "BAM, you want me in your school", kind of a thing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this post, I thought about today and everything I did. I realized that everything I did was brought with or ended with some kind of emotion. Then I started to think about the human condition and how it makes us human to have emotion. Emotion is the human condition. Anything a human does they feel some kind of emotion, whether it is boredom or excitement. I agree completely that artists create pieces of art to express emotion and to pass it on to the viewer. This is probably why I enjoy art so much because I can almost become the artist and feel what they were feeling when they produced it. Also when you talked about how emotion helps people remember. Emotion is the basis of memories. When we think about old memories that is why we always remember exactly how we felt during the formation of the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this blog because it made me think how you are thinking and made me realize what you discovered about emotions. After reading I can see clearer about everything emotion wise. I agree that our emotions affect who we are and what we choose to do and who we are friends with. Also I agree with how you can look at someones creations and tell their emotions.

    ReplyDelete